1. The set of proposals from the Workers’ Committee imply a salary increase above 100%. ACERINOX, S.A. has asked for a new set of proposals more sustainable and within the economic reality. The answer by the Workers’ Committee to this counter proposal has been a call for an indefinite strike starting today. Despite the fact that ACERINOX, S.A. has made the best possible offer within the frame of the recently signed agreement between CEOE (Spanish Confederation of Enterprises) and the Trade Unions, it has not been possible to reach an agreement at SERCLA (Andalucian extrajudicial system for the solution of labor conflicts).
2. The following parameters may help to make clear which is the starting point:
· During the validity of the Collective Agreement in effect, there has been an increase of personnel of 17.7%.
· 204 temporary contracts have been converted into indefinite ones.
· 223 workers from sub-contractors have been absorbed.
· 110 sons and daughters of workers have been hired.
· The average cost per worker has increased 5.89% and not the agreed 3.1%.
· The actual salary cost and specially that of worked hour per worker of the Factory at Campo de Gibraltar is much higher than the average in Spain, and comparable to that of the more developed European countries.
3. ACERINOX, the only steel mill which has never made collective lay-offs, deeply regrets that the policy of the Trade Unions making claims out of the international economic reality seriously threatens and endangers the future of the Factory.