Today the CEO of Acerinox, Bernardo Velázquez, presented to the Mayor of Los Barrios, Miguel Alconchel, the latest environmental investments carried out at the Acerinox Europa plant, and reaffirmed once more the Group’s strategic commitment to promoting sustainability.
Velázquez ensured that “Acerinox Europa is the main benchmark for the industrial sector in Campo de Gibraltar and is also a model company in environmental matters in the European framework. Respect for the environment is one of our priorities and Acerinox will continue to be a leading example of sustainable industry committed to the fight against climate change”.
Alconchel highlighted that "it is important that we continue to strengthen the commitment and lines of collaboration between the Council and the Acerinox plant located in the municipality, especially in social and environmental projects in which we are going to work together, so that they have an impact on the residents of Los Barrios. We must not forget that Acerinox Europa forms part of the life of our municipality and that is why we continue to maintain this collaboration".
The Campo de Gibraltar factory, located in a privileged spot surrounded by the Alcornocales Natural Park and the Palmones River Natural Park, maintains a demanding environmental policy that is integrated in all the processes and management systems implemented in the facilities, with involvement from all personnel and led by Senior Management.
In addition to the significant progress made in recent years, the Company will now make a number of significant investments, totalling almost EUR 12 million, aimed at reducing the environmental impact and making the industrial process more sustainable, the main objectives of which are as follows:
- Eliminate the emissions diffused into the atmosphere, guaranteeing the quality of the air by eliminating particles with improvements to the existing fume extraction systems in the melting shop and the incorporation of a new waste-gas cleaner with a capacity of 250,000m3/h.
- Improve the quality of the water in the bay to excellent levels with an exhaustive control of the process water with the connection of all the factory's pipelines, thus having a perfectly controlled single point of exit.
- Improve the visual impact of an industrial facility located in a privileged spot, as well as minimise the acoustic impact of activity on our surroundings. These last two improvements have been achieved with the installation of acoustic and visual protection screens.
- Reduction of the carbon footprint. Autonomous electric vehicles have been put into operation to externally transport coils between process lines, without consuming fossil fuels.
- Construction of a new closed, insulated and protected temporary waste storage facility.
- Construction of new sludge storage tanks for subsequent treatment, without environmental and landscape risks.
- Creation of new green areas adjacent to the town of Palmones that were previously used for industrial activities as a landscape improvement and as part of the sustainable industry project.
- Segregation and processing of non-industrial waste. Installation of suitable clean points throughout the factory to encourage the separation of both organic and inorganic waste and to raise awareness among our employees.
- Conservation of coastal fauna of high ecological value. The continuous monitoring and analysis of the water surrounding the facility, carried out by the environmental authorities, various universities and research institutions in Andalusia, corroborate the existence of marine fauna including endangered species that are not present in other parts of the Bay and which, thanks to the quality of the water, are regenerating.